slackware vs redhat

Aaron Howell aaron at kitten.net.au
Fri Sep 27 03:14:28 EDT 2002

You are correct, your friend doesn't know very much about Unix/Linux.
RedHat 8.0 has some of the latest software, (gcc 3.2, glibc 2.3, apache 2.0, kernel 2.4.18 etc).
It now ships by default with speakup, so the old addage of slackware is better than redhat because it has speakup built in no longer applies.
as far as the statement about consuming more system resources, that's just plain garbage.
What system resources are consumed depend entirely upon what software you choose to run.
if you run lots of different software, then you will use more system resources than if you run a minimalistic system, (that is true of both RedHat and slackware).
Both Redhat and slackware are regularly updated, and erata packages are released for both if security problems etc are found in the current distribution.
That said, they are both excellent products, and the above is by no means an attack on slackware.
There is definitely a place for both distributions, but it would be fair to say that if you are confident with redHat and happy with what it gives you,
then you will not benefit by changing your system over to Slackware.
Regards
Aaron
On Fri, Sep 27, 2002 at 02:58:26AM -0400, Sunfire wrote:
> hi...
> i was wondering... i was told by someone that didnt claim to know that much
> about unix/linux that i "needed" to change my server over from redhat to
> slackware... so instead of updating to redhat8.0 he wants me to update to
> slackware 8.1.  he said to do that because of the reasons i will list..(not
> all of them because it would be a very bad flame on redhat).
> 1. redhat is out of date
> 2. redhat takes too many resources and is slower by over 50%
> 3. doesnt take as much disk space and is easier to install.
> 4. redhat updates every few months or so......
>
> i think i will end now after that it gets into too many flames if it hasn't
> already...sorry if i posted stuff like that but i need to know somehow to
> weigh this out..because i cant afford to "try it" on both systems to find
> out for myself... it gets too expensive...
>
> tnx

    /             |\      _,,,---,,_                           /|
| Aaron Howell                  Kitten Internet            |    |
| aaron at kitten.net.au           Internet consultancy,      |    |
| Phone: +61-417-625550         System administration,     |    |
| fax: +61-7-36010099           system design/integration. |    |
| icq: 6715521                  http://www.kitten.net.au   |    |