slackware vs redhat

shaun_oliver at optusnet.com.au shaun_oliver at optusnet.com.au
Fri Sep 27 03:06:59 EDT 2002

1. redhat is out of date
afaik, red hat ain't out of date, andthe only reason I can think of your
friend would tell you this is because of misinformation or the fact that
distributers choose their packages carefully. they use the packages they
consider to be stable enough for release in their distributions..

2. redhat takes too many resources and is slower by over 50%
that's just an outright crock. Red hat as far as I can tell, ain't any
slower than any other distribution. the version I used a year ago or
there abouts was slow on boot up mainly  because it had a lot to load at
startup. however, you can configure that to suit your needs.
so that point is a load of rubbish.

3. doesnt take as much disk space and is easier to install.
Each distribution takes up as much disk space as you want it to.
the standard for slack 8.0 is around 2 GB if you choose a full install.
How much disk space GNU/Linux takes up is entirely up to you.

4. redhat updates every few months or so......
So what if it does, is this a problem?
all I can suggest is you use what you're comfortable with. if it's red
hat then use red hat if it's debian or slackware or something else, use
that one. Don't always trust what someone else tells you. use what you
feel the most comfortable using. and more importantly, check your facts.

--
Shaun Oliver

In a world without fences
          and walls who needs Windows and Gates?