thoughts on setting up an emergency server

Gregory Nowak greg at romuald.net.eu.org
Sun Oct 27 00:45:30 EDT 2002

Thanks Darrel.

Actually, this is a 2 drive system, with both drives in use (no, it's not for raid).
Every 24 hours, I have a script that tar balls the entire system, and stores a copy on each drive. That way, if it's something like a drive failure, All I have to do is to untar the last backup on the remaining drive, and I'm all set.
However, if it's something more critical, then ...

I also have a cdrw set which I bring up to date weekly with my configuration files, and user directories if they're not too big to fit on the backup.

This box is slackware 8.0, with the internet tools such as bind and apache updated to the newest versions from 8.1 packages.
If this box should ever go, I'd like to be able to do a full reinstall with the newest version of slackware or maybe debian, so that I don't just keep using an outdated distro version when I have the chance and excuse to replace it.

Greg