thoughts on setting up an emergency server

Patrick Turnage patrickt at tampabay.rr.com
Sun Oct 27 00:22:41 EDT 2002

Hi
One disadvantage to using zipslack on a zip drive is the slow slow speeds
from the lpt port, I ran zipslack on a zip drive for a while when my
laptop's hard drive was being repaired and it was incredably slow, booting
took over 2 minutes, and emacs took a while too..
If you can manage this, I'd buy an extra hard drive and then nightly mirror
your current setup on it, so add another hard drive to your server and only
use it to be mirrored everyday, then if your machine ever dies than swap
out the hard drive in your other linux box and replace it with your
server's hard drive back up, and then hen ever your server gets replaced or
fixed just copy your back up hard drive to your new server's hard drive and
then you do not have to do all that stuff that goes with setting up and
preconfiguring a new system.

-----
Patrick Turnage
E-mail: pturnage at tampabay.rr.com