thoughts on setting up an emergency server

Darrell Shandrow nu7i at azboss.net
Sun Oct 27 13:07:26 EST 2002

Hi Greg,

OK.  Then, simply tarball all the configuration files for the various
applications and utilities you use, as well as all the mission-critical data
such as e-mail and web sites.  Do this in such a manner as to keep the
existing directory structure intact; I think tar already does this by
default?  Do this in the form of a full backup weekly and an incremental
backup nightly.  Make sure to keep current, full-installation CD-ROMS
available for the Linux distro you use.  It would probably be best to have
the backup be the same distro as that running on your actual
mission-critical system, as different distros do things differently.  Then,
do restore, just re-install your full Linux distro, then restore the
configurations and the data from the backup.  Of course, all your customized
binaries and sources would certainly need to be included in the backup...
:-)