Slackware instalation issues

Thomas Stivers stivers_t at ev1.net
Wed Oct 16 15:59:27 EDT 2002

On 10/16/02  3:18 PM -0400, erik burggraaf wrote:
> Hi list.  I'm finally getting set up with a linux system here, after wining
> about it for 2 or 3 years.  It's been fun, but I've got some questions and
> consearns not dealt with by the instalation documentation I've read.  Some
> are speakup related, others are symply linux related.
> First of all, I'm having trouble detecting devices here.  For example,
> although my ardic transport is located on com1, I need to issue the command
> speakup_ser=0 whenever I load into ramdisk, or the thing won't fly.  How can
> I ensure that when I get all this straightened around, my synth will auto
> detect?

You may have to put an append line in your lilo.conf, something like
append = "speakup_synth=txprt speakup_ser=0"
or if you have a cd writer
append = "hdc=ide-scsi speakup_synth=txprt speakup_ser=0"

> Next, I keep losing my partition mounts and cd rom drives.  According to the
> documentation, they should stay put,but they haven't.  One possible reason
> is that my swap is hda2 and my EX2 linux partition is hda1.  I'm off to
> switch that around now.  Could there be any other reasons why they don't
> stick?

I really don't think it matters if your root partition is hda1 or hda2.
Do you have the partitions you want to be mounted automatically at boot
listed in /etc/fstab? Maybe I'm not understanding you though if devices
are somehow unmounting at random.

> Finally, I've been through all the packages and so on available on the
> slackware cd image.  Is it worth installing gnome or x-windows?  They look
> nifty, especially gnome, but how speech friendly are they really?

The gnome in slackware 8.1 won't work as yet with gnopernicus. The people
in the know say that gnome 2.0 and gnopernicus should have a useable
version released by the end of this year. So you might as well save hd
space and skip x altogether for now.

> Thanks for any help and advice.

Just remember that man is your friend and don't hesitate to ask
questions.