Slackware instalation issues

erik burggraaf erik at erik-burggraaf.com
Wed Oct 16 15:18:19 EDT 2002

Hi list.  I'm finally getting set up with a linux system here, after wining
about it for 2 or 3 years.  It's been fun, but I've got some questions and
consearns not dealt with by the instalation documentation I've read.  Some
are speakup related, others are symply linux related.
First of all, I'm having trouble detecting devices here.  For example,
although my ardic transport is located on com1, I need to issue the command
speakup_ser=0 whenever I load into ramdisk, or the thing won't fly.  How can
I ensure that when I get all this straightened around, my synth will auto
detect?
Next, I keep losing my partition mounts and cd rom drives.  According to the
documentation, they should stay put,but they haven't.  One possible reason
is that my swap is hda2 and my EX2 linux partition is hda1.  I'm off to
switch that around now.  Could there be any other reasons why they don't
stick?
Finally, I've been through all the packages and so on available on the
slackware cd image.  Is it worth installing gnome or x-windows?  They look
nifty, especially gnome, but how speech friendly are they really?
Thanks for any help and advice.
Erik

---