Slackware instalation issues

erik burggraaf erik at erik-burggraaf.com
Wed Oct 16 20:07:44 EDT 2002

Thanks man,  I'm all set.  My box comes up talking now.  Grin.  I think part
of the problem may have been that I opted not to install lilo because the
installer warned that it might dammage partitions.  I'm not sure why this
seemed like a big deel, I've only partitioned the thing 7 or 8 times in the
last few days, but it was late, and I'd just spent hours going through the
new be instalation with verbose prompting.  *holds head*
Well, I'm off to hunt in the docs for some things, but I do have one thing.
It takes for friggin ever to get this box running.  I booted, heard the bios
beep and finding the floppy, then a few seconds of hd whir, then... nada. I
went and set up a cd in the burner, came back, and was half way through a
panic Email when it woke up and started rattling off info about system bios,
and which pages were reserved for what.  Any idea what it could be doing?
Is this normal?  I'm running a p-150 mhz processer, 48 mb ram with a 90 meg
swap partition and a 1.2 g boot partition.  I've done a basic install of
lilo excepting most of the defaults, except of course for passing the
parameters speakup_synth=txprt and speakup_ser=0, and I chose to install to
the mbr instead of a bootable linux partition, because obviously I'm not
going to be running anything but linux for now.
If you could re-assure me on this,  I'd be greatful.
Thanks.
Erik