dns problem

Gregory Nowak greg at romuald.net.eu.org
Sun Oct 13 20:51:43 EDT 2002

If you can contact the root servers, and get a root hints file, you should be able to get dns info for other domains just fine (assuming your bind is setup correctly).

One more thing I forgot to mention is to make sure your SOA record has the correct info.

To answer your question, your machine may have a different name in dns from the one you see at the shell prompt. For example, my server is linserver.romuald.net.eu.org, but I could have just as easily defined it as ns1.romuald.net.eu.org in my zone file.

One more thing, there is no technical problem as far as I know in having your nameserver have the name of your domain. Yes, kind of strange, but it should work.

I don't know how you would take care of things during the name change, but maybe someone more knowledgable will come on here and enlighten us both.

Greg