dns problem

Scott Howell showell at lrxms.net
Sun Oct 13 20:14:42 EDT 2002

I wonder in the short term if there is a way to account for both machine
names so I'll not get bit in the process of changing names. I think the
mistake is naming the machine the same name as the domain. I guess
there's no point in naming your box example if your domain is
example.com being as it'll show up as example.example.com which seems
silly in any case.<grin>
I didn't think of this when I started. What is interesting though is why
it wouldn't do lookups beyond my own domain. That I think bothers me
more being as if it would have done lookups at least I couldn't have
worked with the situation. I obviously dont' know dns as well as I'd
like, but perhaps this could have something to do with the reverse
lookups? Seems as long as my dns server can contact a root server it
should still produce dns results.
I guess this is also punishment for not keeping my old box updated. Most
the software on it is from Slackware 7.1 and its worked well enough. My
mistake was trying to build a Debian box and I've not had to concern
myself with setting up Debian as a server or firewall box so I imagine
perhaps there's some differences or unique aspecs I overlooked, but
didn't think so.

tnx

Actually one other interesting point is that ns1.lrxms.net resolves back
to lrxms.lrxms.net per the zone file. I didn't think because ns1 was
another name for the primary dns server, would it matter what the
machine's real name is.

tnx