dns problem

Scott Howell showell at lrxms.net
Mon Oct 14 06:25:31 EDT 2002

Greg,

That very well could be the problem. I am running bind 8.something on my
old box and bind 9 on the new box. I simply used the same configuration
file with a few minor changes to paths etc. Being that I can't contact
any root servers, that probably would indicate there being some problem
with the configuration.
What is interesting is that at one point it seem to work, but to be
honest I haven't absolutely any clue what would have broken in such
short order. I think what compounds the problem is I can't think of
anything to ping beyond my own network just to be sure my packets are
flowing as they should be. Yes, I can use netwatch, but it tends to be a
bit to verbose just to get some simple info. I used to be able to ping
the ISP's dns server, but guess they decided to block pings now.<grin>

Tnx will have to keep hacking this problem.