Slackware + Speakup?

Steve Holmes steve at holmesgrown.com
Wed Oct 9 06:55:10 EDT 2002

This isn't a really specific question, but I have been using Slackware
for several years now and still love it!  I recently attempted a
switch to Debian for the same reasons Chuck considered - package
management.  But I came right back to Slackware.  The basic tools for
doing things like configurations and even package construction is all
by shell scripts and I even have figured out how to build my own
slackware compatible package for Exim now.

I never did get Debian 3.0 to come up with speakup because the
available speakup bootdisks for debian are out of date and the drivers
do not match, thus you can only get so far when installing debian 3.0
with speakup from scratch.  I guess existing debian machines upgrade
ok but I could never succeed from a previous slackware or empty box.
I kept getting unresolved external symbols while loading any modules.

One thing I enjoy about slackware is being able to easily get "under
the hood" and look at all the pieces.  I have found once in a while
that a slackware binary package for a given application doesn't quite
work to my wishes so I ended up uninstalling the package and rolling
in the original tarball instead.  I had to do that with php and emacs
for sure.  With php, the package did not include postgresql support
and I wanted that; and with emacs, something got funky when I tried
using cperl-mode so I reinstalled those applications from scratch with
my own configurations.  I will usually start with the provided
packages and if they work well, then so be it; but if I have trouble,
it is easy enough to remove the package and do otherwise.