Slackware + Speakup?

Patrick Turnage patrickt at tampabay.rr.com
Tue Oct 8 19:12:53 EDT 2002

Hi
Slackware is great for a custom system. I once had to send my laptop's hard
disk back to be repaired and I ran the complete system off a zipdisk with
zipslack, patched with a kernel for speakup. I removed a lot of packages I
did not need and added libraries that I needed and programs like smb and
mpg123 for playing mp3s over my room mate and my network. I used ppp, and
everything, aim, with emacs, lynx, can't remember if I had ssl, do not
think so, but no problem cause I could just telnet, I had pico and workbone
for playing cd audio, had alsa modules for sound, PCMCIA support for my nic
and modem which my kernel picked up too. I do not know as much about debian
which I currently have installed as I did about slackware, but if you don't
mind compiling new packages or if you have a miniture system you need to
heavily customize slack is the best way to do it, you need little more to
install packages than tar andgunzip..
Patrick

-----
Patrick Turnage