Slackware + Speakup?

Charles Hallenbeck hallenbeck at valstar.net
Wed Oct 9 06:54:49 EDT 2002

On Wed, 9 Oct 2002, Alex Snow wrote:

> I also think I screwed up when telling it how many bytes per inode when
> formatting the partition.  I gave it 4096, hope that's ok.

The issue is whether you want to run out of data space first or
index node space first as a partition gets full. It all depends
on the number of files you expect to have there versus their
average size. So a general answer is hard to give. You can see
what you are presently doing by using the "-i" option on the "df"
command, which shows you your inode usage. Compare the percentage
there with the percentage of data space used when you run "df"
without that option.

Chuck

So visit me at http://www.valstar.net/~hallenbeck