8.0 solved.

Thomas Ward slingshooter at valkyrie.net
Sun Oct 6 05:47:09 EDT 2002

Hi.

As you know I had many initial problems with Red Hat 8.0, but thanks to
suggestions and help I've solved all the problems, and now RH 8.0 works like
a charm. I am sharing my solutions with all of you so that you can try this
in case you encounter the same issues I had.

First, problem I had was when i wrote out the boot floppies speakup would
not talk to me. This is still a problem I am having, but my solution was to
set the bios to boot from the cdrom, and from that point the install worked
fine.

 Second, problem during install I got confused where I was and accidently
activated the ok button before choosing a text login. Afterward I was unable
to switch to a text login, and I simply reinstalled Red Hat, and that time
made absolutely sure I checked text login before pressing ok.
Third, speakup had been acting strangely, and after every command I would
get an error, "command error in string."
With Bill's help I've found out Red Hat has changed the clock speed, and I
need to make some changes to jiffy_delta and  delay_time.
I've put the following commands in my /etc/rc.d/local file and now my
dectalk Express works properly all the time.

echo 25>/proc/speakup/dec_express/jiffy_delta
echo 100 >/proc/speakup/dec_express/delay_time
echo h >/proc/speakup/voice
echo 300 >/proc/speakup/rate
echo 3 >/proc/speakup/punc_level
echo 95 >/proc/speakup/pitch