big sigh and many questions.

Thomas Ward slingshooter at valkyrie.net
Fri Oct 4 01:45:57 EDT 2002

Hi, Anna. It looks like these problems are simple, and easy to solve. I'll
answer them one by one,and if you still have questions let me know.

Question:
"First, I did get a couple of tutorial, I think they are tutorial, Red Hat
CD's with my system, but I don't know how to access them.  I have to do
something with mount don't I, but I do I know what I'm mounting, and how
do I know which device is designated as what, and once I get the CD
writer/reader mounted, how do I read the information it has?"

Answer:
Yes, you will need to run the mount command to first mount the device, and
then you can cd into that device and use it as you would any other
directory. You can mount devices by mounting /mnt/floppy for the floppy
drive and /mnt/cdrom for the cdrom drive. So if you want to mount the cdrom
you would type:
mount /mnt/cdrom
Now to read the top level directory you would do a:
cd /mnt/cdrom
which opens the top level directory of the cdrom.  Then type:
ls
which will  show you a list of all the directories on the cdrom. You can
proceed to open each directory in kind or open files, etc...
One last note is before removing the cdrom it must be unmounted. To
acomplish this I usually type:
cd
which takes me back to my home directory.
Then, I would type:
umount /mnt/cdrom
which unmounts the drive, and you can  remove your disk.

Question:
"second, I'm still having modem problems.  I can dial in with ppp okay, but
then I can't seem do telnet or ssh, and I don't know where their config
files are, or their how-to files.  I means I've skimmed the info pages on
them but it's all jibberish to me.  When I try ssh, I get something about
host name resolution failure, and telnet just can't find the host.  Now,
from my non-ppp account on Drizzle, I often telnet to the catalog ofr the
Washington Talking Book and Braille Library, and that works fine, but when
I even tried doing that on my Linux machine, I couldn't.  It couldn't find
it or something, but I'm wondering if it's actually a problem on my end."

Answer:
Well, telnet and ssh don't need any special configurations. You merely have
to type:
ssh domainname.com
and then it will usually go where it is suppose to go. However, I suspect
your problem is that Red Hat is not resolving  addresses.