big sigh and many questions.

Anna Schneider annas at drizzle.com
Thu Oct 3 17:44:01 EDT 2002

Anna Schneider back again.  See I try to work on my system, hit problems
almost immediately and then don't do anything for two months.  Such is my
relationship with computers.  Now, let's see if I can make any sense.

First, I did get a couple of tutorial, I think they are tutorial, Red Hat
CD's with my system, but I don't know how to access them.  I have to do
something with mount don't I, but I do I know what I'm mounting, and how
do I know which device is designated as what, and once I get the CD
writer/reader mounted, how do I read the information it has?

second, I'm still having modem problems.  I can dial in with ppp okay, but
then I can't seem do telnet or ssh, and I don't know where their config
files are, or their how-to files.  I means I've skimmed the info pages on
them but it's all jibberish to me.  When I try ssh, I get something about
host name resolution failure, and telnet just can't find the host.  Now,
from my non-ppp account on Drizzle, I often telnet to the catalog ofr the
Washington Talking Book and Braille Library, and that works fine, but when
I even tried doing that on my Linux machine, I couldn't.  It couldn't find
it or something, but I'm wondering if it's actually a problem on my end.

This doesn't make any sense does it.  I can't do anything.  Every time I
try I go backwards.  I don't understand the the info pages because they
are so terminology ladend.  I can't find help on the things I need because
I don't know where to look. Oh, and I can only access my moem as root, not
as anther user and I can find where to change that because I don't know
what to look for.

Can anyone sort through this and give me pointers.  This is starting to
throw my life into chaos.

Thanks much.

Anna