my notes on l i n k s

Buddy Brannan davros at ycardz.com
Tue Nov 19 11:27:04 EST 2002

Must agree with Toby here. And Janina. And...

Bear in mind that GNU/Linux (and indeed any un*x-like environment) is
necessarily different from DOS, Windows, and the like. The systems are
meant to have multiple users, so they do a lot of things at once very
easily, because they were designed that way.

Moreover, the way that things *should be* programmed for this
environment is necessarily different. Note i said *should*, because
obviously it's not always done this way as we all know. But generally,
X-Window programs are merely front ends to other things that don't
require X, and non-X front-ends are generally available--or can be
written. Interfaces are generally separated from the main
program--this isn't true of Windows and its ilk. Certainly it isn't
always true under GNU/Linux and other Un*x-like environments either,
but it's true enough that I don't think we need worry about text
consoles going away any time very soon.
--
Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV/3   | "And if the ground yawned,
Phone: (814) 455-7333     | I'd step to the side and say,