my notes on l i n k s

Toby Fisher toby at tjfisher.co.uk
Tue Nov 19 11:39:53 EST 2002

On Tue, 19 Nov 2002, Buddy Brannan wrote:

<snip>

> Interfaces are generally separated from the main
> program--this isn't true of Windows and its ilk. Certainly it isn't
> always true under GNU/Linux and other Un*x-like environments either,
> but it's true enough that I don't think we need worry about text
> consoles going away any time very soon.

Actually, to be fair this isn't strictly true.  For example, I know for a
fact that some programs under Windows (a good friend of mine wrote one for
example), have separate .dlls for the user interface, to make threading
easier, and to try and offset some of the inherent instability provided by
the underlying operating system.

 Toby Fisher	 Email: toby at tjfisher.co.uk
Tel.: +44(0)1480 417272	Mobile: +44(0)7974 363239
ICQ: #61744808