my notes on l i n k s

Toby Fisher toby at tjfisher.co.uk
Tue Nov 19 11:10:49 EST 2002

On Tue, 19 Nov 2002 ccrawford at acb.org wrote:

> Hi Kenny,
>
> 	It was a program for audio output and can't remember the name
> after it said I needed X to run it.  Moreover, it really is not about a
> particular program since others will follow if a trend develops.

Hmmm, so there's 1 audio program that requires that you use X, so fine,
use another.  Some people are coding just for X, but a lot more are still
coding for just console, or for both, the --without-x configure option has
become a popular one on my system.  Most sys admins still like the
console, not least because it means they can log on and get tgood response
from their system, via ssh across a modem link.

The console's not going away any time soon, chill out.

Cheers.

Toby Fisher	Email: toby at tjfisher.co.uk
Tel.: +44(0)1480 417272	Mobile: +44(0)7974 363239
ICQ: #61744808