Cursor Positioning

Steve Holmes steve at holmesgrown.com
Mon Nov 4 17:26:16 EST 2002

Sort of a programming question here.  When using Curses type tools
(particularly with perl), I'm very concerned about proper positioning
of the cursor when working with predefined widgets like text boxes and
buttons and the like.  I'm trying to work with the author of a
Curses::Widgets package for perl and am having a bit of trouble
telling his software package how to position the cursor while using
the arrow keys and such in the text box for example.  Right now, the
cursor appears stuck at the end of the window title and that's where
speakup thinks it is.  When typing in the textbox, the application
inserts text in the right place but speakup still thinks the cursor is
at the top of the window after the title.  I think the Curses packages
relies on its own internal "cursor" so to speak.

Does anyone here on the list know how one can tell a curses
application to position the cursor while in sub windows?

I know the dialog shell script utility used with so many linux distros
does cursor positioning pretty well so I know it is possible.  Once I
get this figured out, it will be possible to develope some nice perl
applications with an accessible curses style interface.