Amazingly dumb remark about Linux

Cecil H. Whitley cwhitley at ec.rr.com
Thu May 30 21:21:23 EDT 2002

Hi Teddy,
I must disagree with you about companies not using Linux.  I saw stats
earlier today that up to 40% of the companies in the U.S. are now using
Linux for some applications.  MicroSoft is expected to lose 18% of it's
market share over the next two years to Star Office and it's free
counterpart OpenOffice.

Now, just because Linux isn't friendly to blind users for it's GUI doesn't
mean that there is no GUI.  There are games for Linux btw, they're the same
games that there are for windows, because they are the windows games!  Check
out wine-x by transgaming, not that it will do you any good.  Remember, you
being blind are a minority.  Wine is not up to the glorious 1.0 yet, but
there are commercial products based on it that are doing okay for
themselves.  You may also wish to check out lindows.com.  Is Linux a
minority?  Yes!  Are you a minority Linux user?  Yes!  That's two strikes
against you, but do not generalize that to the product itself.  You can't
speak for the sighted world because unfortunately you're no longer a part of
it.  Does any of this help you?  No, but that does not prevent it from being
the truth.

Linux now has some serious backing, IBM, HP, Sun, a large customer base is
being installed in the governments of various countries including France,
Germany, Brazil, China and the United States and Canada.  IBM has picked up
several major corporate customers for Linux over the past two weeks.  They
include Roiters, Sherwin Williams and I can't remember the third one to save
my life....  They also sold some serious computing power to the Air Force
this week, or at least they announced it this week.  Linux is a viable
product and is probably here to stay whether or not the GUI is ever made
accessable.  In fact, the NSA has it's own secure version of Linux for use
within security sensative areas.
Regards,
Cecil