US Robotics 56K Voice PCI

Adam Myrow myrow at eskimo.com
Thu May 23 18:14:48 EDT 2002

Ann, type "lspci -v."  You should see your modem listed with its
resources.  You will also see  everyother PCI device.  Copy down the info
you see.  For example, my output contains this.

00:13.0 Communication controller: TOPIC SEMICONDUCTOR Corp: Unknown device
0000
        Subsystem: TOPIC SEMICONDUCTOR Corp: Unknown device 0000
        Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 4
        I/O ports at 03e8 [size=8]

You wouldn't know that is a modem from looking at it, but since I know
that my modem has a chipset made by Topic, I recognize it.  Send the
output of your command to me or the list, and I'll tell you what to try.
Basically, if you want to experiment, it involves the setserial command
with the IRQ and address of your modem and then trying it.  Once you've
got a working setup, edit /etc/serial.conf and change the line for one of
the com ports to match the settings.  Lastly, remove the "#" from the
beginning of the line in /etc/rc.d/rc.S that says "# .
/etc/rc.d/rc.serial."  By removing the #, you ensure that this line will
now run when you reboot.  This should get the modem working.  Oh, I don't
think it matters what com port you use for the modem as long as it is not
in use by another real com port.  I always use /dev/ttyS2 since that's
generally free.

Good luck!