nic at real cheap price

Ed Barnes edbarnes at anomaly.2y.net
Sun May 19 03:12:04 EDT 2002

Hi folks, I have to join on this thread in defense of Rol.
Those Realtech's work with kernel 2.4 and they worked with 2.2 as well
according to documentation.
I say that they worked according to docs with 2.2 because my first work
with Linux was recently so it was 2.4.
However in researching before I purchased them I learned this so it's
decently documented.
Further I know the kernel module for 2.4 is 8139too and if memory serves
correctly the name of the kernel module driver for 2.2 is rtl8139.
I have two cousins of the realtech 8139 he4re and I put one ina buddies
system and all are working well, I put an aln325 aopen which uses the
realtech 8139 system in my friend Dwayne's Windows system, my own Windows
system has a cousin of the Realtech 8139, an smc1244 10/100 which also of
course uses the realtech 8139 chipset.
And, eth1 in my Linux box is a D-link dfe-538 which uses once again the
Realtech 8139 chipset.
Now, in closing I know none of the three cards I've discussed are
comparable to something like the members of the 3com family like the 3c905
series, but they're reliable and are a good value whether you buy them for
$1 on the www site or pay market price for them which is between $15 and
$20 cdn with taxes around my neck of the woods.
Just my thoughts and hope I've not offended anyone byyy taking sides on
this issue.
Regards to all on list!

Ed Barnes
E-mail edbarnes at anomaly.2y.net or ebarnes1 at warp.nfld.net
Ph (home) 709-596-3165 or (cell) 709-683-6085
http://anomaly.2y.net
"Money will buy you a pretty good dog, but it won't buy the wag of his
tail." --- unknown