possible sollution

Cecil H. Whitley cwhitley at ec.rr.com
Sun May 19 00:37:17 EDT 2002

Hi,
I've left your post intact.  Just a couple comments about it.  Prior to
windows xp m.s. did not have a product which would provide speech while it
was installing.  Slackware has an out-of-the-box speech enabled install and
has for a while.  There are list members here whom donate their time doing
the same for redhat.  Apparently that goes back a ways given the number of
releases held on the speakup ftp site.  I can't speak for other list
members, but I try to answer all questions that I can (my knowledge base is
also limited).  In at least one instance I have pointed a user to a "howto",
but that is because of my ignorance on the subject matter and I would prefer
to give accurate information as opposed to being overly helpfull and
exceeding my knowledge base.  Wrong answers do more damage than harm (at
least in my opinion).  Don't get me wrong, i'm not perfect nor is my record.
I do however try to clearly identify areas that are "guesses" as opposed to
"fact".

At least with linux all the documentation is available on-line and in fact,
much of it comes with the distribution.  That's why redhat has a cd
dedicated to documentation.  Linux, like windows is an extremely complex set
of various software packages.  Your mileage may vary depending on the
hardware you have and the choices you make in the installation process.
apropos is a good command to remember as is man and info.

In conclusion, if you want a stable gui environment with optional text mode
that doesn't crash several times a day, buy os/2!  It's easy to setup and
runs like a champ.  It is however a bit dated.

Regards,

Cecil