interesting experiment.

Darrell Shandrow nu7i at azboss.net
Sat May 18 11:39:57 EDT 2002

Hi Shaun,

Yes; it is definitely difficult for us, and thank goodness for Linux!  It
allows us to work with and experiment with and learn many types of
applications, like databases, web and mail servers, and so on which we
would never be able to afford to access on our own.  I just wish Linux were
a more viable general purpose workstation; I use Windows for that purpose.

Regards.

At 03:33 PM 5/18/2002 +1000, you wrote:

>that sucks,
>I used jaws because at the time I didn't know any better and I was steered
>in that direction by the people in the um. know.
>but thing is to pay through the nose for authorization for nt/2000/xp
>really sucks and the prices they ask are out of my league.
>if I want to use my computer at home I'm either resigned to using pirated
>software or GNU/Linux.
>I don't have the money to go spending on the software I want for windows
>because they ask too damn much and I'm on limited income as are a good few
>of us here.
>I wouldn't even be considering this option if I were in the position of
>the vendors themselves.
>it just gets my goat that they want us to use computers out there and
>won't be accommodating when we want to do just that.
>as it was I've already spent $1400 alone on jaws for windows and I had to
>take out a personal lone to do it.
>if they want us to use computers in the windows world, they should make
>the pricing accessable too.
>it seems to me that everyone that codes for microsucks is in it for the
>dollars either to line their pockets or to pay microsucks for the
>outrageous licencing fees for the use of their code.
>ok I'v ehad my whinge for the day.
>Shaun..

Best regards,
Darrell Shandrow
Access technology consulting / network and UNIX         systems administration.