more bind questions

Cecil H. Whitley cwhitley at ec.rr.com
Sat May 4 01:55:59 EDT 2002

Hi,
Is it possible that the next level up has just an "a" record for ns.mydomain
and not the soa?  Without the soa queries for mydomain will go to the next
level up instead of to your server.  It could also be a propogation issue,
dns changes take from 48 to 72 hours to penetrate most of the net.  It could
also be that the host you went to had queried it's dns prior to all records
being put in the next level up from your dns (the server that points to
ns.mydomain for queries about mydomain) and it will hold that for the
refresh interval.  I assume you have checked /var/logs/messages or it's
counterpart on your server?  Did all zones load properly?  Do you resolve
locally both forward and reverse?  Do you still resolve in both forward and
reverse if you set your resolver to the dns next up in your chain to root?
My tool of choice for dns issues is nslookup.  If the next level is ns.com,
within nslookup type:
set server=ns.com[enter]
Then try both forward and reverse queries (not for your dns but for some
other host reported by your dns).

Cecil