more bind questions

Gregory Nowak gnowak1 at uic.edu
Sat May 4 14:53:14 EDT 2002

Hi,

I've put my answers below your questions. I will fully admit that I am very new to dns, and am just following howtos and other docs. So, if something I say below makes me sound like a total idiot, please forgive my ignorence, and help me learn.

On Sat, May 04, 2002 at 01:55:59AM -0400, Cecil H. Whitley wrote:
> Hi,
> Is it possible that the next level up has just an "a" record for ns.mydomain
> and not the soa?  Without the soa queries for mydomain will go to the next
> level up instead of to your server.

I signed up for a domain with dhs.org. So, mydomain.dhs.org is the full domain name. When I signed up, they of course asked me what domain I want, and the names and ip addresses of 2 dns server. My machine is called linserver. So, I gave the full name for my primary name server as linserver.mydomain.dhs.org, and my ip address. I also gave the name for my secondary dns, and its ip address. In addition, I registered with granitecanyon.com for them to be my secondary dns. Beyond that, I just wrote my zone files and named.conf according to the info in howtos and other docs.

It could also be a propogation issue,
> dns changes take from 48 to 72 hours to penetrate most of the net.  It could
> also be that the host you went to had queried it's dns prior to all records
> being put in the next level up from your dns (the server that points to
> ns.mydomain for queries about mydomain) and it will hold that for the
> refresh interval.

I don't know if this has anything to do with anything else, but I just got an e-mail back from my secondary dns that their databases will be updated in 24 hours.

I assume you have checked /var/logs/messages or it's
> counterpart on your server?  Did all zones load properly?  Do you resolve
> locally both forward and reverse?

Yes, I've run named with the -g switch which forces all logging to stderr before I let it load in the background with my as of now finalized configuration. It reports no errors at all, and all zones load fine.
Also I've run dig -x myip and dig mydomain.dhs.org, on my machine, and they both seem to come back fine.

Do you still resolve in both forward and
> reverse if you set your resolver to the dns next up in your chain to root?
> My tool of choice for dns issues is nslookup.  If the next level is ns.com,
> within nslookup type:
> set server=ns.com[enter]
> Then try both forward and reverse queries (not for your dns but for some
> other host reported by your dns).

I'm not sure I understand. The next level up is dhs.org. Since they aren't running any dns services for me but are just my domain provider, I don't see how they fit in.

> Cecil

Thanks for your help.
Greg