more bind questions

Gregory Nowak gnowak1 at uic.edu
Fri May 3 23:55:42 EDT 2002

Hi all,

I got my RP/TXT problems solved, and named is running in the foreground now, and not reporting any errors. However, something strange is happening which I can't account for, and am hoping that someone with more experience will be able to account for and explain it.

What is happening is this.
When I log in to another unix server (not on my lan, but in the outside world) via ssh, and run on it "dig mydomain", the status it returns is "status: SERVFAIL".

If on that same machine I do "dig ns.mydomain", it returns a status of "status: NOERROR" which of course is fine. If I run dig from the nameserver itself as "dig mydomain" and "dig ns.mydomain", the status returned in both cases is "status: NOERROR". Could someone please point out to me what I'm missing? Thanks again for any help.
Greg