help with dosemu; getting very frustrated

Kerry Hoath kerry at gotss.net
Thu Mar 21 14:57:11 EST 2002

Keep in mind that to emulate a serial port dosemu _needs_
to run as root to perform the raw serial port i/o.
Most dos applications access the serial port directly by reading and writing to the uart
and it is easier to emulate this by talking to the real hardware as root
than it is to figure out exactly what the dos ap is doing withi/o ports
and routing that through the serial driver.
In short, dos emu does not use the serial driver in the kernel to talk to the serial ports,
it uses raw port i/o to the hardware. As a result serial port
access is likely to require root privs.
I don't use dos emu myself and th elast version I looked at was 0.97
back in 1993 so corrections apreciated.