FW: USA: Online book-sharing service for the blind borrows a page from Napster

Janina Sajka janina at afb.net
Fri Mar 15 15:13:21 EST 2002

OK. Next problem! <grin>

Full page braille displays have long been a kind of holy grail that we
dream of and can't attain. As things stand, a single line display is
horrendously expensive.

We need a breakthrough. We need two breakthroughs, actually:

1.)	Price. Anything we know today says this would go through the
ceiling--tens of thousands of dollars, at least;

2.)	Complexity. I don't know that we understand how to build anything
this complicated and keep it controlled. Current single line displays are
already very complicated, mechanically--which is why they're so expensive.

My conclusion: Were we to make breakthroughs on the above two points we'd
want a full page braille display before this kind of unit.

--

				Janina Sajka, Director
				Technology Research and Development

Chair, Accessibility SIG