Sound interference when using speakup.

Kerry Hoath kerry at gotss.net
Sat Mar 2 22:59:18 EST 2002

Although speakup is involved in the broken audio problems;
you can make a huge difference by optimizing your
ide setup.
By using hdparm you can unmask interrupts set multi sector
transferr and enable dma.
unmasking interrupts lowers latency and allows sound more time to
fill its buffers.
hdparm -u1 /dev/hda
Setting multiple sector mode allows the drive to only drigger an interrupt every
32 sectors or depending on what hte drive supports.
hdparm -i /dev/hda
will identify what the drive can do, look for maxmult. Then
run the following:
hdparm -m16 /dev/hda
or whatever the maxmult value was.

If Linux supports dma on your controller, you can enable
it like this:
hdparm -d1 /dev/hda
You can do all this in one shot with:
hdparm -d1 -u1 -m16 /dev/hda
Ide transferrs can impact the kernel quite a lot if not managed properly.
Also the apollo hardware design is possitively evil and handshaking is a problem.
I wouldn't be surprised if speakup wasn't eating cpu
managing to deal with the apollo's bizare interfacing.
I have an artic transport and a doubletalk and I don't have audio breakup problems but
other people have described similar stuff with other hardware.

Regards, Kerry.

Kerry Hoath:  kerry at gotss.net kerry at gotss.eu.org or  kerry at gotss.spice.net.au