Where to start.

Toby Fisher toby_fisher at bigfoot.com
Sun Jun 30 23:00:22 EDT 2002

On Sun, 30 Jun 2002, Janina Sajka wrote:

<snip>

> The 'poll' command tells fetchmail what place to go looking for
> your mail. You can put the pop address for your isp's mail server
> here, but I recommend putting the ip address instead, because it
> saves one step. There's no reason to make Linux look up the
> address every 60 seconds, after all.

Janina,

I do agree in principal, however with one caviat.
Isps can have a nasty habbit of changing the ip address of their pop
server, since after all none of their users (who, of course, are all using
Winblows) should be using the ip address to call it since the install file
they ran sets it up as a name.  Also, many isps, especially larger ones,
have more than 1 pop server which connects to the same disk arrays, which
are called on a round-robin or random basis, so there may be several ip
addresses related to the name pop.isp.com.  This means that nobody sees
the point to tell anybody if one or more of these machines needs to be
taken down for any reason, for emergency or routine maintenance.

Cheers.

Toby Fisher	Email: toby at g0ucu.freeserve.co.uk
Tel.: +44(0)1480 417272	Mobile: +44(0)7974 363239
ICQ: #61744808