Where to start.

Janina Sajka janina at afb.net
Sun Jun 30 18:48:25 EDT 2002

Now that you're online, you can start using your own Pine. But,
first, you need to get mail delivery working on your system.

Attached here is a simple file that goes in your home directory.
Call it .fetchmailrc and be sure to notice the dot at the
beginning of the filename. That makes it a hidden file.

You will need to edit it with your own settings. The 60 number
at the top means "get my mail every 60 seconds."

The 'poll' command tells fetchmail what place to go looking for
your mail. You can put the pop address for your isp's mail server
here, but I recommend putting the ip address instead, because it
saves one step. There's no reason to make Linux look up the
address every 60 seconds, after all.

If you don't know what this address should be, your isp can tell
you, and they certainly will.
I'm assuming your isp makes mail available as pop3, but it could
be imap, in which case we just change the proto (which is short
for protocol) to imap--though that may require a bit more in
settings, I don't recall. Let's cross that bridge only if we need
to.

Now, put in your username and password.

Lastly, you may need to start fetchmail. Still as yourself, enter
the command:

fetchmail

and press enter.

PS: You can make this run allthe time by adding it to the end of
your .bashrc file in your home directory which you can also edit
with pico. It doesn't hurt that you're not on line all the time.
It will just magically work when you do connect.

--

				Janina Sajka, Director
				Technology Research and Development

Chair, Accessibility SIG