Linux Installation

Saqib Shaikh ss at saqibshaikh.com
Fri Jun 28 17:54:53 EDT 2002

Hi ADFM,

Sorry if I am missunderstanding your problem, but how I understand it there
are a number of problems:

Firstly, as I have mentioned on 3 other occasions, you can't install Linux
on drive d: since d: is Windows-specific and Linux needs to install on part
of the hard drive which Windows doesn't normally recognise. You do this by
using a program that comes with Windows called Fdisk. You must delete d:.
Then, during the Debian installation you should create Linux partitions in
the part of the hard drive that used to contain d:, but is now empty.

Possibly a more fundamental error is that you are trying to execute a
non-executable file. I'm not sure how much computing knowledge you have, but
only files with a .exe, .bat or .com extension under Windows can be executed
in the way you wish. The file debian_2.2 <insert proper filename> I believe
is a .iso file. A l.iso file is an image of a CDROM, which must be put onto
a CD using a CD writer and a software package such as Nero or EZ CD Creator.

I really do recommend that you start with Zipspeak, or something more
straight forward. There is also the possibility that I've missunderstood
your problemand that you know what you're doing and I'm being a fool.

Saqib