Linux Installation

Toby Fisher toby_fisher at bigfoot.com
Fri Jun 28 17:50:51 EDT 2002

On Fri, 28 Jun 2002, ADFM wrote:

> Toby
>
> Yes the Disk shows as a FAT32 Partition. I have modified the line
> below:
>
> /loadlin /debian-2.2r2-speakup root=/dev/hda2 speakup_synth=dectlk rw
>
> Is the above the proper line? As I understand it, Linux needs to
> format the drive to be seen.I wish to have Windows 98 SE on drive C
> and the full Debian on drive D.

Ok, you are, by the looks of it, trying to run the linux kernel as if it
were a dos program, you cannot do this.  Linux has to be installed on a
different type of file system, usually ext2fs, though ext3fs may be
available, depending on your distribution.
This can be done by freeing up some space on your drive.  It sounds like
the best way to do this would be to remove the partition which is
currently listed in Windows as drive d.  Is this a partition of your main
hard drive, or a spearate drive?  You need to be very careful when doing
this, as removal of the wrong partition will kill your windows partition.

I would strongly suggest reading the dos2linux howto, as it explains the
concept of the file systems you need to use, as well as the naming
convention for drives, rather than using letters, they are shown as
devices, like so:
Your primary drive is most likely /dev/hda, the first partition on this
drive is /dev/hda1.
If you do not feel ready for this, then you need to consider installing
zipspeak, which is a small distribution that you just unzip onto a fat32
partition, alter a line in a batch file, and run it .  This is handy if
you don't feel confident re-arranging your partitions.

 > I have forgotten how to
format a 1.44 Floppy
and create a boot disk. > Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Unfortunately, it looks like you are trying to use Debian, in which case I
will be of little help here as it is a distribution I have not used,
however there should be some instructions on the cdrom on how to do this.

Cheers.

Toby Fisher	Email: toby at g0ucu.freeserve.co.uk
Tel.: +44(0)1480 417272	Mobile: +44(0)7974 363239
ICQ: #61744808