USERS WRITING TO PARTITIONS?

Aaron Howell aaron at kitten.net.au
Tue Jun 18 19:19:03 EDT 2002

Hi there,
The problem with this solution is that _anyone_ can write to your fat partition then.
That's ok on a home box where you are the only user, but its not so good on a family/multiuser box.
Better to use the uid= and gid= options which allow you to have tighter control over who can do what on the partition.
Regards
Aaron
On Tue, Jun 18, 2002 at 05:13:24AM -0700, Steve Holmes wrote:
> I will include one typical vfat entry I have my system to enable me to
> write to my windows dirs.  I honestly can't remember the meaning of
> the last two variables on the line but this works for me.  I think the
> umask is what enables normal users to write files without permission
> problems.
> /dev/hda1      /hda1       vfat     defaults,umask=000  1    0
> /dev/hdc1      /hdc1       vfat     defaults,umask=000  1    0
> /dev/cdrom     /cdrom      iso9660  user,noauto,ro,unhide 0   0
>
> Guess I'm gonna have to pay another visit to the man pages for mount
> and fstab:)
>

> On Tue, Jun 18, 2002 at 07:19:33AM -0230, Doug Lawlor wrote:
> > Hello list, I need to know how to let a user besides 'root' write to a
> > partition.  I've tried everything I know and it's not working here.  A
> > line from my 'fstab' file is below.
> >
> > /dev/hdc4       /var/music      ext2    users   1   1
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> > Doug
> >

> > --
> > Doug Lawlor <dlawlor at roadrunner.nf.net>

    /             |\      _,,,---,,_                           /|
| Aaron Howell                  Kitten Internet            |    |
| aaron at kitten.net.au           Internet consultancy,      |    |
| Phone: +61-417-625550         System administration,     |    |
| fax: +61-7-36010099           system design/integration. |    |
| icq: 6715521                  http://www.kitten.net.au   |    |