Speakup with USB

Jan Buchal buchal at brailcom.cz
Tue Jun 11 07:10:49 EDT 2002

Good day,

I would like to use speakup with my notebook, where there is no serial port.
A have a serial Apollo synthesiser. I can use USB/serial adapter, however there

is the following problem: Speakup checks for the synthesiser when the kernel
starts booting, but at this time USB subsystem is not yet initialised (even
though I have compiled it into kernel). Speakup then gives up, when it does not

recognise Apollo on one of the checked ports.

Is there a way to force Speakup to output the speech to particular device (such

as /dev/ttyUSB1) even if it doesn't recognise the synthesiser there at boot
time? I understand that it is not possible to make it speak from the very
beginning, however I would like it to speak at all...

In connection with this problem I have also another question: Does current
Speakup architecture allow to use it with software speech synthesisers? Of
course, output drivers should be written first. Are there any plans in this
area?

Thank you for any idea.

--

Jan Buchal