Few questions about speakup

Charles Crawford CCrawford at ACB.org
Wed Jul 31 08:03:31 EDT 2002

Janina,

	I will agree with you that GPL and open source do provide a dynamic
difference from Windows based apps to the extent that we could get a group
of engineers to rewrite code to make an app accessible, but the larger
question is how much good does that really do with respect to the
affirmative duty of government to purchase only accessible software?  What
is the real difference between Microsoft telling government that golly we
will fix it in the next release and some Linux developer saying
accessibility is a breeze as soon as someone steps up to the plate and
volunteers to rework my code.  The net effect is the same.

	So the solution from my point of view is to require that the software be
accessible out of the box and nay interface issues be resolved before the
government buys it.  From this model, it is much more easy for the Linux
developer to incorporate the access up front especially with gnome.  That
is the advantage I see to Linux apps.

	As far as AFB and NFB and whoever not appreciating the difference, it is a
very different model from the normal business world.  Yet we should
understand that the rules of business do apply.  Whether software comes
from Microsoft or Chucks software garage, it must perform what it
represents itself to do and in that context, the GPL  is irrelevant.

	I think we are basically in agreement, and we just need to understand the
dynamics at play in this world of leveraging law to advantage accessibility.

-- charlie Crawford.