Few questions about speakup

Thomas Ward slingshooter at valkyrie.net
Tue Jul 30 11:46:53 EDT 2002

Hi. Well, as janina already stated the gpl grants us the right to grab the
source and modify it to our needs. You will of course have to find or write
new libraries, because many x applications depend on the graphical
libraries, and well that is how it is.
Which means that Linux will always have an up over Microsoft, because we can
build our distribution if we so wished, and include only the apps we wanted.

However, there is many reasons why x applications are being written and not
text applications. Let us take 3d vidio games. The console can only display
16 colors, and simply can not display the on screen graphics required for
the vidio games.
So a game programmer may choose to go X Windows use Mesa 3d to handle the
graphics, and sdl for direct keyboard, joystick, and audio control.

So in short I think the reasons x is so popular are:

ease of use.
Greater control over vidio, color contrast, etc.
evalibility of libraries.
Familiarity with MS Windows. Yes, this is a factor. MS Windows users don't
want to change. They want Linux to look like MS Windows to use it.
Visual presentation is much nicer. All those colors, pictures, etc, look
alot better than black and white text, or 16 colors for that matter.

Can you fault the sighted users for enjoying those things? It's not their
fault that we can't see it, and can't enjoy it. however, they can, and that
is why accessability is ignored.