Few questions about speakup

Janina Sajka janina at afb.net
Tue Jul 30 09:35:06 EDT 2002

On Tue, 30 Jul 2002, Charles Crawford wrote:

> 	Having said this and at the risk of incurring concerns from those who are
> highly dedicated to Linux, I really have to point out that objective and
> observed behavior of a program tells the story stripped of conjecture and
> what might happen in the sweet bye and bye.
>
> 	If there are applications running on Linux in the X environment and those
> applications do not run on the console, then there is a reason for
> that.  Attacking the reason is just as important in the Linux world as it
> is in the Windows world.  Discrimination and lack of employment are just as
> ugly irrespective of what OS is involved.
>
> 	So, our chances are much higher in Linux to correct issues before they
> become entrenched as they are in Windows.  If we don't aggressively move to
> do that, then we only will have ourselves to blame for having relied upon
> wishful thinking rather than consumer involvement to secure our futures.

Charley:

I take your point. But, you need to take the next step in your very
excellent reasoning. You are still missing the most salient point, namely
that's it's the license, not the OS, that makes the difference.

It rather reminds me of the 1992 Clinton campaign, where every Clinton
office had a big sign which read:

	"It's the economy, stupid."

I will avoid the perjorative, because it's unfortunate in all versions of
this otherwise excellent construct. So, I say again,

	"It's the license, sweetie."

Let me go to cases.

Unix has many inaccessible applications, especially in the Xwindows area.
Motif is but one example. There are many other examples. It will, as I
pointed out yesterday, always be possible to write inaccessible
applications. I pointed out it is even possible to write inaccessibly for
character based interfaces.

Yet, I don't believe you're frightened by ASCII art encumbered
applications, right? That spectre isn't frightening because we understand
the remedy. So, I say now, understand the remedy available to us with GPL
licensed gui applications. It's really not much different than clearing
out encumbering ASCII art from character screens.

The salient point is that we have both the needed information and the
legal license to do so. This radically alters our future. No longer do we
marshall resources to demand someone "fix it" for us. That would be a
mos;t uninformed and unfortunate approach in the GPL arena. We would be
looked at as uninformed and ignorant people were we to try such a silly
approach, because the remedy for our woes is in our hands. Simply get some
engineers on the task and fix it to our specs, on our timeframe, and to
our liking. Then, submit the fix back into the package distribution so
everyone can enjoy the benefits.

We have a responsibility in GPL. We cannot stand, hat in hand, asking for
inclusion. We are required to pitch in and make it so. I can tell you that
AFB has not learned this lesson yet. I don't know about NFB, or CNIB, or
RNIB. But, perhaps you can help guide ACB, as I believe you have already
begun to.