Revisiting Install hangs at first boot

Scott Howell showell at lrxms.net
Tue Jul 30 18:45:47 EDT 2002

I've seen this "uncompressing kernel image" message before.
I'm sitting here trying to recall what the problem is. A few suggestions
that come to mind is first make sure lilo knows exactly where your
kernel image lives, make sure it is in the first 8gb as suggested to
you, make sure if you either downloaded the kernel or compiled it that
you in fact have compiled it for the correct processor although it
should boot regardless even if behaves incorrectly, make sure again you
go over the liloconf file carefully and note where everything is because
its possible lilo can't find the image, oh and also you might check to
see that there is a line that says something like,
 Support LBA for large hard disks.
#
lba32

and beyond that, begin running in circles, scream, and then attack the
problem again.

good luck

Scott