Install hangs at first boot

Kerry Hoath kerry at gotss.net
Tue Jul 30 00:47:47 EDT 2002

I found that on one machine; lilo worked where grub did not.
I did not chase the problem down further although I should at some stage.
Note that any boot partition should be in the first 8.4gb of the
primary drive; there are bioses that claim to support >8.4gb
extentions but don't correctly; so boots beyond 8.4gb fail
mysteriously.
If these machines are only r unning Linux; make sure grub/lilo are installed
int he mbr; otherwise they should be installed
in the first partiton boot sector of the linux primary partition.
By the way; does making a boot disk for t he machines work during hte install?
I found if I made a boot disk; the hard drive failed to boot
so I used the boot disk. I then fixed lilo
after the system was booted.

Regards, Kerry.