Few questions about speakup

Charles Crawford CCrawford at ACB.org
Tue Jul 30 07:26:44 EDT 2002

Aaron, Janina and interested listers,

	I am encouraged by Linux and the information you folks have shared on the
matrix of the user interface with respect to X programs.  I do understand
the difference between applications interfaces, data manipulation and
storage, and presentation versus internal program operations.

	Having said this and at the risk of incurring concerns from those who are
highly dedicated to Linux, I really have to point out that objective and
observed behavior of a program tells the story stripped of conjecture and
what might happen in the sweet bye and bye.

	If there are applications running on Linux in the X environment and those
applications do not run on the console, then there is a reason for
that.  Attacking the reason is just as important in the Linux world as it
is in the Windows world.  Discrimination and lack of employment are just as
ugly irrespective of what OS is involved.

	So, our chances are much higher in Linux to correct issues before they
become entrenched as they are in Windows.  If we don't aggressively move to
do that, then we only will have ourselves to blame for having relied upon
wishful thinking rather than consumer involvement to secure our futures.

	Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty.

-- charlie Crawford.