zip speak??

Thomas Ward slingshooter at valkyrie.net
Tue Jul 30 02:10:50 EDT 2002

Hi, it would be possible to put any major distribution on that small drive,
but would have to cut down on the amount of applications installed.
For example if you don't install the x windows server, graphical desktops,
and the apps that go with them you save about 900 mb right there.
You mentioned slackware. Well if you wanted a nice system I'd pick these
package sets.
a, app, d, e, n, and y.
You could further save yourself space by only picking the apps you wanted
and installing those you do.
If you were using Red Hat you would go through the custom setup, and
unselect x, gnome, kde, mail servers, ftp servers, web server, etc, and just
leave the text based client software, and then you would have a nice small
Linux system.
In any case I would always include the gcc compilers, perl, and the
development stuff, because many apps for Linux are in source code only, and
you need to run a simple make script to compile and install them. An example
of an average from source install is:

./configure
make
make install