a mail question

Toby Fisher toby_fisher at bigfoot.com
Mon Jul 22 03:58:00 EDT 2002

On Sun, 21 Jul 2002, Gregory Nowak wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> I have a mail question that I hope someone can help me with.
>
> Say I have 2 users, user1 and user2.
>
> Is there a way that I could have user1 get notified somehow if user2
> recieves e-mail? Both users are on the same machine. If it matters, my
> mta is qmail, and I'm using maildir style mailboxes. The reason I want
> to have this functionality is so that I could find out if there is
> mail for user2 without having to login as user2, since I mostly do all
> my none-root work on the box as user1. Thanks in advance for any help.
> P.S., I'm not thinking about forwarding, I would still like the e-mail
> to remain in user2's mailbox.

One very cludgy way to do it would be to create an alias for user 2 that
points to user 1 and user 2, thus you could read any mail for user2 from
user1, and just log into user2's login to deal with it.  There are
probably better solutions than this, but I can't think of them right now,
but this wwould be a very quick and dirty way of achieving what you want.

HTH

-- Toby Fisher Email: toby at g0ucu.freeserve.co.uk
Tel.: +44(0)1480 417272 Mobile: +44(0)7974 363239 ICQ: #61744808