a mail question

Charles Hallenbeck hallenbeck at valstar.net
Mon Jul 22 06:24:11 EDT 2002

Greg,

If a user has mail on my Slackware system, there is a non-zero
length file under /var/spool/mail by the same name. You could
write a script to check for the presence of such a file and that
would tell you if the user has mail or not. If there is no mail
for the user, the file is still present but has a length of zero.

Chuck

On Sun, 21 Jul 2002, Gregory Nowak wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> I have a mail question that I hope someone can help me with.
>
> Say I have 2 users, user1 and user2.
>
> Is there a way that I could have user1 get notified somehow if user2 recieves e-mail? Both users are on the same machine. If it matters, my mta is qmail, and I'm using maildir style mailboxes. The reason I want to have this functionality is so that I could find out if there is mail for user2 without having to login as user2, since I mostly do all my none-root work on the box as user1. Thanks in advance for any help.
> Greg
> P.S., I'm not thinking about forwarding, I would still like the e-mail to remain in user2's mailbox.

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (96% of Full)
So visit me at http://www.valstar.net/~hallenbeck