Jaws under Linux?

Shaun Oliver shaun_oliver at optusnet.com.au
Wed Jul 3 09:54:28 EDT 2002

On Wed, 3 Jul 2002, Ann Parsons wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> It is a good question if you don't understand that Linux is a totally
> different operating system from Windows.  JFW is a Windows product.
> If JFW worked under Linux, we wouldn't have Speakup or Emacspeak.  You
> can emulate the key map, but you're talking apples and oranges.  I'm
> not a techie, so I don't know the technical reasons behind this, but
> the way the screen reader gets info from the screen and so on are
> different.  I think even the way graphics is handled in Linux is
> different from the way in which it is handled in Windows.  And this is
> not to mention the licensing problems that would blossom if JFW users
> started using Linux.  They wouldn't want to do so.  Why should someone
> pay $900 for a screen reader when both the operating system, Linux,
> plus its very workable screen reader Speakup, and/or the output system
> for Emacs, are free.  Not only are they free, as in free beer, their
> source code is free as well.    I wouldn't pay a red cent for JFW to
> run on Linux.  I couldn't afford it, for one.  I couldn't fix it if it
> broke, for another.  I'd have to wait years before the programmers at
> Freedom Scientific got their act together to implement any new
> features or to fix bugs.  Naw, the learning curve is not steep enough
> to warrant such a thing.

Woe! slow down there ann.
What he's wondering is, will jfw work on something like vmware.
imho, I don't think so.
For starters, there's the issue of direct x.  I don't think that direct x
is even handled at all in a windows emulator.  I'll stand to be corrected
as always.
 there's also the issue of msaa and whether or not it will work on
something like vmware.
I can see his point but I also see the other side of the coin having
started from scratch with linux.
but I take your point too.
why pay through the nose for a crappy piece of software that gets major
changes about once every whenever they can think of something they want to
add.

--
Shaun Oliver

In a world whithout fences