Jaws under Linux?

Raul A. Gallegos raul at asmodean.net
Wed Jul 3 10:37:57 EDT 2002

Shaun Oliver said the following on Wed, Jul 03, 2002 at 11:54:28PM +1000:
> Woe! slow down there ann.
> What he's wondering is, will jfw work on something like vmware.
> imho, I don't think so.

I've ran Window-eyes on a system with Linux installed first then
windows-98 running through vmware.  Was very slow however.  The
processor was an 800 mhz with 256 mb ram.  You have to have a real power
horse to do this successfully.  I do not know if jaws keys will be
destroyed under vmware either.  With window-eyes I didn't have a key
issue so didn't look into that side of things.  If I did this I would
need sighted assistance installing vmware because you do need x to
install.  I'd rather just have a machine with two partitions on it, one
for Linux and one for Windows if I was going to be running both.

> For starters, there's the issue of direct x.  I don't think that direct x
> is even handled at all in a windows emulator.  I'll stand to be corrected
> as always.

I'm not sure either and  would be willing to find out.

>  there's also the issue of msaa and whether or not it will work on
> something like vmware.

When I used window-eyes the msaa buffer under Internet explorer worked
fine.  I don't remember any issues.

--
If you perceive that there are four possible ways in which a procedure can
go wrong, and circumvent these, then a fifth way will promptly develop.