Jaws under Linux?

Ann Parsons akp at eznet.net
Wed Jul 3 08:41:31 EDT 2002

Hi all,

It is a good question if you don't understand that Linux is a totally
different operating system from Windows.  JFW is a Windows product.
If JFW worked under Linux, we wouldn't have Speakup or Emacspeak.  You
can emulate the key map, but you're talking apples and oranges.  I'm
not a techie, so I don't know the technical reasons behind this, but
the way the screen reader gets info from the screen and so on are
different.  I think even the way graphics is handled in Linux is
different from the way in which it is handled in Windows.  And this is
not to mention the licensing problems that would blossom if JFW users
started using Linux.  They wouldn't want to do so.  Why should someone
pay $900 for a screen reader when both the operating system, Linux,
plus its very workable screen reader Speakup, and/or the output system
for Emacs, are free.  Not only are they free, as in free beer, their
source code is free as well.    I wouldn't pay a red cent for JFW to
run on Linux.  I couldn't afford it, for one.  I couldn't fix it if it
broke, for another.  I'd have to wait years before the programmers at
Freedom Scientific got their act together to implement any new
features or to fix bugs.  Naw, the learning curve is not steep enough
to warrant such a thing.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but this question was spawned by
someone who only understands Windows and not Linux.  It is a valid
question, as are all questions when asked sincerely, but it's a newbie
question.

Ann P.

--
			Ann K. Parsons